We all need good coffee beans.
We all want good coffee.
So what are the best coffee beans in the Netherlands? Well, that depends a little on personal taste and favorites, but I can tell you who roast amazing coffee beans in the Netherlands and sell their coffee online!
Traditionally, there are a handful established coffee roasters in the Netherlands who have been producing specialty coffee since it wasn’t called specialty coffee. These are oldskool roasters who’ve always been on the lookout for great green beans and who know how to source these beans and treat them well. In my opinion, these are:
- BOOT koffie (since 1963) in Baarn
- Bocca in Amsterdam
- Capriole Coffee Service, Den Haag (1975)
However, the whole third wave coffee movement have sparked a bunch of great newcomers with new routes, difference sources, smaller batches and that great newcomer creativity and curiosity. The get beans that are “off the beaten path”, if you will, or from non-traditional coffee producing countries. These are, amongst others:
- Single Estate Coffee Roasters, Den Haag (2007)
- Giraffe Coffee Roasters, Rotterdam (2013)
- Manhattan Coffee Roasters, Rotterdam (2017)
- Stooker Roasting Co., Amsterdam (2014)
- Koffiebranderij BOON in Den Haag https://www.koffiebranderijboon.nl/
- Man met bril, Rotterdam (2008)
- Black and Bloom, Groningen (2012)
- Nordkapp Coffee, Utrecht (2015)
- Friedhats Coffee Roasters (2018)
They are sometimes pretty large scale roasters already, roasting every single day to keep production and delivery going. But some are small artisan roasters, roasting green coffee beans to order once or twice a week.
I’ve had excellent coffee beans from all of these sources, but two that stand out for me and who’s taste I can still recall are:
#2 Black and Bloom
What’s the best coffee I’ve had from a non-Dutch source, you ask?
Amavida Coffee! ❤ Price was high but the rewards were too!
But don’t take my word for it! Check (the sadly discontinued) “Koffie Top 100” which ranked the 100 best places to drink coffee in the Netherlands. Ranking was made by a professional coffee jury and each venue was visited at least 3x to see if they were consistent. Very impressive list, even today.