I had an interview with the famous Dr Soc of island92 radio last Monday. We talked about coffee in general and what you can do on the island of St Maarten make a better “cup ‘o joe” in the morning.
No matter what ground coffee you are using on Sint Maarten, use a filter coffee maker and
- use Volvic (bottled) water
- boil the water and let it cool a minute or two
- pick a spoon to measure the ground coffee and always use the same exact one!
- use between 50 and 65 gram ground coffee per liter of water.
I recommend starting with 30 gr for 500 ml and see how that tastes.
- If too bitter: use less coffee, for instance 27.5 gram for 500 ml
- If too bland: use more coffee, for instance 32.5 gram per 500 ml
- pour a little bit of the water onto the grounds and let the coffee “bloom” for 30 sec
- pour the rest of the coffee not taking more than 3 minutes for all the water to seep through
- let it cool a little bit before drinking